Embassy Recommendation
for Japanese Government Scholarship Students

The Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (Monbukagakusho or MEXT) offers scholarships to international students who wish to study in Japan. Japanese government scholarship students may enter Japanese universities and receive exemptions for matriculation and tuition fees, as well as monthly scholarship stipends. After graduating from high school in another country, an individual hoping to enroll in an undergraduate program as a scholarship student should apply for Japanese government scholarships for undergraduate students through Japanese embassies and consulates abroad. If accepted after the second screening by MEXT, the applicant must take Japanese language lessons at Tokyo University of Foreign Studies or at the Center for Japanese Language and Culture at Osaka University for one year. If an applicant passes the screening for the university for which one is applying, he/she can enroll in the undergraduate program at Osaka University. The academic year begins in April; therefore, the selection process at Japanese embassies or Consulate-General offices begins somewhere between February and March. Please contact them around that time at least one year before you wish to begin your studies.

For application procedures, please contact the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country.

For more information about a MEXT Scholarship, please refer to the following websites:

Privately Financed Students

Those who wish to apply for a regular undergraduate course as privately financed students are required to take the Entrance Examination for Unsponsored International Students , typically offered in February at Osaka University. Selection will be conducted comprehensively based on EJU and TOEFL scores, a written exam, and an interview.

Exchange Students

Osaka University’s Graduate School of Economics has completed academic exchange agreements with a large number of universities in other countries. Under the exchange agreements conducted on university-to-university and school-to-school levels, exchange students from selected institutions will be admitted to take classes for one or two semesters at Osaka University without paying additional tuition fees. Also, credits earned at Osaka University can be transferred to one’s home university. Application should be made through the office handling international exchange at one’s home university.

Exchange Program

Page top